Sunday 1 March 2009

Feb electricity usage

I'm still a bit stunned. Yesterday I spent an hour creating a spreadsheet for my electricity usage. I'm not very adept at using spreadsheets, so I was tearing my hair out by the end of it. Anyway, I know have one that works - go me!

That's the good news.

The bad news is that even with trying to reduce our usage as much as possible over the month we have used 524 kwh, which equates to £64.75
We have a capped rate, and I think it's cheap (11p inclu tax per unit plus 13p daily standing order). The fluctuation of prices means I feel better on a capped tariff, but maybe it's time to shop around. Perhaps I'd be better off paying more and not having a daily standing charge. I find the whole thing a minefield to be honest which leads to procrastination.

My goal is to join a green provider, but there is no way I can finance that at the moment. We'd have to get our usage right down because they are generally more expensive. (in my limited knowledge)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rae,

    We have a 3 bed house which is oil ch & wtaer and we cook on electric, I also run the dishwasher once a day and the washing machine at least once if not twice.
    I run a large old chest freezer plus a 5ft upright and a under counter model, I also have the usual kitchen appliances, micro, toaster, bread machine, food mixer, slow cooker etc.

    The boys also have tv and games console in each of their rooms and the pc is on most of the day.

    Our electricity usage for the month of Feb is as follows

    Day units 425kwh @ 14.35 = 60.99
    Night units 87kwh @ 6.39 = 5.56
    standing charge 0.15 per day = 4.20
    VAT = 3.54

    TOTAL = £74.29

    Admittedly with my company for every 12 payments you make by direct debit you get one back, so that is like an annual discount; and my prices will be going down at end of March it has been announced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ecotricity's prices are linked to the prices charged by the official electricity provider for your region. I don't think we've noticed a big change, but you might find out more from their website http://www.ecotricity.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our new prices have been announced and the rates will be:

    ex VAT
    13.49p/kwh day rate
    5.18p/kwh night rate
    14.75p standing charge per day

    I have also changed a few things I do so that now the dishwasher also runs 99% of the time on night rate,along with the washer which did anyway, so that will make a bit of difference.

    ReplyDelete