Friday 31 July 2009

Double glazing


We're almost there with making a decision about double glazing!

We have had four quotes now, all from small, local firms rather than large corporations.

I feel a bit uneasy about the whole UPVC idea; I know it has its issues with the environment, but also, heating your home, only to have that heat leak outside is not a good move either.

We cannot afford hard wood frames, which would be my preference, so this is a time when we will have to compromise.

The one company I feel best about has a recycling policy at least - the glass is all recycled, but not the wooden frames as they have to be careful of lead paint.
Our house was build in 1936, so underneath all the modern paint will be some lead somewhere. Normally, I would burn the wood, at least to get something back from it; but I won't be burning it with the lead paint on it. So sadly, it will end up in a skip and eventually in landfill where it will contaminate the earth :(

I also learned that the manufacturer of PVC windows uses lead to stop discolouration! This will be phased out in 2012 and two of the companies we have had quotes from already use lead-free PVC.

There is so much to learn about making ethical decisions and it still seems to be a case of compromise no matter which way you look!

No comments:

Post a Comment