Monday 2 February 2009



I've just had the email from Gloucestershire Carbon Watchers about our challenge for this month.

I quote from the mail:

Our theme for February is using your heating system to best effect. It’s really worth getting to grips with this as about two thirds of the carbon emissions from our homes are due to heating.

And that's it! I assume there will be more information to come, as this in itself isn't exactly helpful.

We run a wood burner, which never gets too hot so there is no need for thermostatic radiator valves. It's unusual for the radiators to get more than hand hot.

We have a thermometer in the living space (kitchen, dining room and conservatory - all open plan) and we try and keep it at 20. It's around 16 when we get up in the mornings and by mid morning is about 20 degrees).

Any more than 21 degrees and we're peeling clothes off which is counter-productive in my mind. It's amazing what you get used too. I bake now whenever I go to my parent's house and I used to think it was cold when I lived there!

Our bedrooms are about 18 degrees.

As I mentioned on a previous post, we're thinking of supplementing the wood burner with an Eco Dan. We've been shocked at the price of wood this year.......

To be honest, I think the best way to use your heating system is to insulate your house. It's better to make sure that every kwh of heat you produce heats your home and not the outside air!

Anyway, I look forward to receiving some more information soon so that I can make a start for this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment