Thursday 12 February 2009

Last two meter readings

My head is swimming with figures! We've kept to putting the immersion on for one hour in the morning and not having it on again.

DH has just washed up and the water is certainly warm enough for every day washing up. It wouldn't be any good for a greasy meal, but that's only once a week on a Sunday anyway. For that, we can boil up the kettle.

There is a significant drop in our readings so far.

Yesterday's was 97609 (which was 19 - I used the washing machine twice and did a fair amount of cooking)
Today's is 97721 (which is just 12 units) and DH has just put the water on for a bath, so tomorrow's will be higher.

A tankless water heater is definitely the way forward. Although I have to admit, I'm still a bit perplexed. Today I made rice pudding on the hob, which cooked for 1 1/2 hours. It's a real minefield. I have a friend's OWL monitor, but it's next to useless as it doesn't give you the reading you want to know. It shows you that having the shower on, the kettle boiling and the hob on is using 70p an hour, but it doesn't tell you a cumulative total such as HOW MUCH the 5 minute shower costs.

I have a plug in kill-a-watt, but that is limited as you can only put it into things with a socket. Items like the immersion or cooker that don't have a plug, you can't use it on and these are the things I want to know most about! In addition, the plugs for the fridge and freezers are behind them, so I can't get to the sockets.

I thought it would be much more straight forward than this, but I guess there are some unknowns like refrigeration cutting in and out..............

ho hum. 12 units per day is very encouraging. And you know what? As I look up, I see DH has left two lights on when he went out the room. grrrr. Some habits die hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment