Thursday 5 February 2009

Meter reading post


After my big shock with the meter reading yesterday, I've decided to to daily meter readings until I can find out what is going on.

First thing this morning I put on three layers of clothes and I have to confess I haven't even needed to think about putting an electric heater on. With snow on the ground and only a bit of poor quality damp wood for company, the house is not getting above 18 degrees at the moment.

I like to pretend I am toughened up to it, but actually I'm not. I really feel it.

Except today.

I've learned the simple truth; which I am almost embarrassed to write. I've not been dressing appropriately for the outdoor temperature. Gosh, I can hear my mother now :D

I hate layers of clothes. I really do! I hate things around my wrists. I like to write, cook, I express myself with my hands, I like to stroke the cat, to hold my daughter and I just loathe three thick layers around my arms. I'm always pushing my sleeves up out of the way.

Still, today I have worm several layers and have not thought about supplementing the heating. I've been plenty warm enough.

I've just taken another reading, as this was the time I took it yesterday and it's 97487, which means we have used 20 units in 24 hours. It's still more than I would like to be getting through, but it must be better than what we were using (183 units a week)

Last night I had a bath, but I haven't used the oven today (I have used the hob) or the washing machine, so I feel it is rather a lot.

I feel now that tankless water heaters are the way forward. Immersion heaters seem to be such a waste. Ours is well insulated, but it is not an efficient way of heating water. The oven and washing machine are A rated, so not much I can do there except use the wood burner more for cooking. Tbh though, it's not reaching a particularly high temperature; it will take forever to cook a pan of rice!

I always keep a pot of water on there for making herbal teas throughout the day, but it's been tepid today. Ewwww!

Other than that we run computers and a router all day, but I'm not sure what else. Certainly nothing that produces heat which are the things that use up the juice.

I'll have to investigate further..........

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, you have so many blogs - how do you keep it up??!! :)

    It's quite cold here too, though warmer than it was..
    not sure how wood stove and electric stove compare, emmissions-wise.. Do you have any helpful links/sites?

    Glad I've found you here too.. :)
    Been thinking to do more for our energy-consuming habits this year too...
    I like edenbee.com for inspiring me on CO2-related issues.. maybe anyone there would know what's up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Layla!
    I'm infrequent with postings on my blogger accounts and only use them on an as and when basis!
    I'm doing daily readings now and will do that for a month or so to see what I can find out.
    I don't know about emissions, but I'm happy that wood is more self sufficient - it's easier to find free wood than free electricity at the moment! (although we're working on solar for lighting)
    I'll take a look at edenbee - thanks; I'd not heard of it :)

    What are electricity prices like over there?

    ReplyDelete